Saturday, November 19, 2011

Caravan of Dreams


Caravan of Dreams is a quaint, atmospheric vegan restaurant on the lower east side of Manhattan. The lighting inside is dim, coupled with light and airy music selections for the perfect vibe of comfort and relaxation. I must admit, the menu was a bit overwhelming. So much selection that if you're one who finds it hard to make decisions, maybe have a look at the choices before hand online. Including brunch, dinner, dessert and smoothie options, there is no shortage of delicious organic, kosher food descriptions to make you salivate.

Dinning with a friend here is probably your best bet if you're looking to try as many things as possible seeing and the prices are a bit steep. Understandably so due to the standards they keep, yet still on the hefty side for this type of restaurant in my opinion.

I tried:

Pizzetta, one of their raw vegan options. The veggies were fresh and the nut cheese was the perfect texture but this pizza left allot to be desired. The sauce had no tang to mingle with the rest of the toppings. Its flavor was practically obsolete. The crust was probably the most disappointing aspect. If it were analyzed by food scientists, I'm sure they'd agree that that cracker was no longer LIVE. It was too thick and over dehydrated for my liking. It's flavor was also lacking, possible due to over dehydration but none the less, it could have used some more salty flavors such as sun dried tomatoes or celery. For $19, I was disappointed.

The Coco-Mango Pie was my savior. One layer of coconut cream, then a layer of mango cream, drizzled in strawberry sauce and a thin nutty crust. This gluten free dessert was to die for. Allot lighter than most raw vegan pies which was a delightful surprise and didn't give me the feeling of being weighed down later, due to my body processing to much fat.

Over all, I think I'll have to go back to try one of their superfood smoothies or coconut keifer drinks to satisfy my curiosity with their unique flavor combinations.

Rating: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment